Looking for a meat-free version of one of your favorite meals? Try these delicious & flavorful tacos!
Every so often hubby and I like to have some meat-free meals. I always enjoy finding meat-free recipes online that don’t compromise on flavor and are quite easy to make. This recipe is one of them!
In the past couple years cauliflower has become quite popular. Who would’ve known that this tasteless vegetable (my opinion lol) would become something? If I had to choose between cauliflower and it’s green cousin broccoli, I would choose broccoli hands down.
So what’s the deal with cauliflower? Why has it become so popular? What are it’s benefits?
Cauliflower can be used as a carb substitute. What’s great about this is that people who have a gluten allergy can still have their favorite meals without the gluten. Cauliflower is also a healthier alternative to white rice and other starchy foods.
Cauliflower can be steamed, pureed, mashed, riced, roasted, baked…you name it! There are many ways to jazz up this otherwise boring vegetable.
Cauliflower also has some great health benefits. Its high in fiber, good source of antioxidants (who would’ve known?), High in vitamin C & K & choline¹ (supports brain development & metabolism etc.).
I personally have tried cauliflower in a number of ways…riced, mashed, pureed and as a pizza crust (that one was quite interesting). I too find it a great substitute for carbs but also a great substitute for meat when its made into “wings”.
I’ve also made puree cauliflower for my son when he just started eating solids. When lightly seasoned and added with other foods i’m sure your little one will find it enjoyable too! Click here for the recipe I made for my little one –> https://abundant-life.blog/2020/01/03/herbed-salmon-cauliflower-kale-puree/
I came across this recipe for buffalo cauliflower tacos and I was so intrigued that I had to try. This recipe is a great alternative to meat tacos & I guarantee you’ll love it & won’t miss the meat you usually put in your tacos! Next time you can just make the cauliflower and have them as an appetizer with some veg – kind of like chicken wings 😉
- 1 Head of cauliflower
- 3/4 cup of flour (About 12 Tbsp.)
- 3/4 cup of milk (Or Alternative- I used unsweetened Almond milk)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce (I used *Franks Buffalo sauce)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Tortillas (I used plain, but feel free to use whole-wheat, etc.)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Mayonnaise
*The yogurt, apple cider vinegar & mayonnaise are for my tangy white sauce. See below for the quick and easy instructions on how to make it.
Bake time: 40 Minutes | Prep time:
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside
- Cut head of cauliflower in half, then break florets off
- Wash cauliflower florets & pat dry; set aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and milk; stir until well combined
- Add cauliflower florets to batter and stir so that cauliflower is fully coated
- Transfer the batter coated cauliflower to the line baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes on each side (Total: 20 minutes).
- While cauliflower is in the oven, in a bowl combine hot sauce, honey and vegetable oil and mix together
- Carefully remove cauliflower from the oven and brush the hot sauce mixture over the cauliflower until nice and saucy
- Return cauliflower to the oven for an additional 20 minutes (No need to rotate cauliflower at this point)
- Warm your tortillas (Optional)
- Add whatever taco toppings you like & enjoy! ( I added chopped parsley, diced tomatoes & avocado with some of my tangy white sauce drizzled on top)
As previously mentioned, I made a tangy white sauce to drizzle over my tacos. Here’s how I made this sauce
- In a bowl add yogurt, mayonnaise and cider vinegar
- Mix everything together
- Serve! (Great on salads as well- can be stored in an airtight container for 4 days)
If you remove the taco shell and toppings you will have another easy meat-free meal on your hands- Buffalo cauliflower-wings. Serve these with some veggies and dip and you got yourself some tasty appetizers. The texture of the baked cauliflower reminds me of chicken so no doubt cauliflower can be used as an alternative to chicken. With that being said, try orange, lemon or honey garlic cauliflower bites in your next rice or noodle bowl. I just gave myself ideas just by writing that lol… stay tuned for some more fun meals with cauliflower 🙂
*Buffalo Cauliflower Taco Recipe by Tasty